I Love Writing
Hey everybody, it’s Valentine’s Day on the 14th! The special time we celebrate love. But this post is not going to be about anything romantic or sexy. Sorry no hot and steamy love stories or how to romance your sweetheart here. This post is going to address 8 reasons why I love writing.
I have been a writer for several years and despite the ups and downs of my life I still love it. This has included death of friends and family, becoming disabled, various job changes and now a pandemic. I am still writing and loving it. And this is the thing. If you don’t love what you do it will show and people will see it. Why put all the work and effort into something you don’t have a deep love or passion for? So, as it is with my writing, I love what I do and here’s why.
8 Reasons Why
1. I love the creative process of writing. I am naturally curious and interested in all kinds of things. Sometimes those thoughts end up on my computer page. I get to stretch my brain muscle and put digital pen to paper on topics I wonder about.
2. I love the Spiritual Aspect Of Writing. Writing helps me connect with God and also the universe. It generates a positive sense of my existence. Although I have a journalism degree and years of experience, I know my ability to write is not just from my talents alone., I feel incredibly grateful for this gift of written communication.
3. I love stringing various words together to create sentences, paragraphs and ultimately pages. I find words and writing thrilling. When I get into my zone words can just fly off the page.
4. AS a professional writer, I use writing to explore topics of interest. I enjoy reading and learning about things. A lot of times that curiosity comes out in my writing as I pitch a story to a client.
5. Writing is like therapy. Years ago, I started journaling and found it so helpful when unpacking complicated emotions and thoughts. Writing my feelings down on paper has helped me to get through difficult moments in my life. It has also given me perspective and the ability to look at the bigger picture. Lastly, when I review past journal entries I can see my development, growth or sometimes stagnation.
6. Writing is my legacy. Since I am single with no children I won’t have a family to leave behind once I am gone. But I have tons of my published writing work. People can read my work and be inspired, motivated and hopefully encouraged.
7. Writing allows me to speak for my community. I am a Black woman with a disability and many times are stories are not told or told incorrectly. My love of writing gives me the power to say something, which I don’t take lightly. My writing lets me educate, share a different perspective and enlighten people based on my life experiences. Responses to my writing have helped me build community and connection.
8. Writing allows me to express my opinions and beliefs. As a professional writer I have had to write for others with their thoughts, attitudes and style in mind. But when I do my personal writing I can let my hair down and say the things I really want and in the way I want. This is a big reason why I started this blog in the first place. I needed a platform for my personal thoughts, feelings and musings about things. I wanted a safe place to express myself in a written format.
Are you a writer? If so, I’d love to hear your reasons for why you love writing. Whether you write for the pure joy or as a career choice we all have stories to tell. Share yours with me in the comments.